Baked Sweet Yams
4 medium yams (peeled and cut into bite size cubes)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Xyla (natural sweetener made with xylitol which comes from birch trees)
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
‣ Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
‣ Put yams in a baking dish and add all other ingredients.
‣ Toss well until yams are well cover in mixture.
‣ Put dish in the oven uncovered and bake for 20 min.
‣ Remove dish and toss yams with a large spoon.
‣ Place back in the oven for another 15-20 or until yams are fork tender.
‣ Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
Oven Fried Snapper
4 4-5 ounce Red Snapper Filets
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
Olive Oil Spray
egg wash ( 2 eggs whisked with 1/4 cup milk)
Homemade Spice Blend:
2 tablespoons Sea Salt
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 tablespoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
‣ Heat oven to 400 degrees.
‣ Cover a flat baking pan with heavy duty foil.
‣ Spray pan with a thin layer olive oil and set aside.
‣ Next, mix flour and cornmeal in a shallow bowl.
‣ Season both sides of snapper filets with spice blend.
‣ Brush both sides of filet with egg wash then coat with flour/ cornmeal mixture.
‣ Lay snapper filets flat on baking pan.
‣ Cover fish with a generous layer of olive oil spray.
‣ Optional: Sprinkle on a little more spice blend.
‣ Put pan in the over and bake for 20 min or until fish is golden brown and crispy.
Just Right Green Beans
6 cups green beans, cleaned an trimmed
2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
‣ In a pot, bring water and a a couple pinches of sea salt to a boil.
‣ Add green beans and cook for about 4 min.
‣ Remove from stove and drain.
‣ Put beans back in the pot and add butter, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
‣ Toss well.
‣ Let stand for 3-5 min.
‣ Serve warm.
LAILA’S FAMOUS OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
10-12 organic chicken wings
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt
1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 can olive oil spray
‣ Pre heat oven at 400 degrees. If you have a “convection bake” setting, use it.
‣ Rinse the chicken wings and pat dry.
‣ Combine wings with spices: sea salt, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, seasoning salt, ground pepper and chili powder.
‣ Mix together in a large bowl and set aside.
‣ Cover a large flat oven pan with heavy duty foil (this eliminates the need to scrub the pan clean when done).
‣ Spray a layer of olive oil on the foil.
‣ Be sure to cover the entire surface with spray.
‣ Next, put the flour in a a clean paper bag (or you can use a large bowl. I like to keep as simple as possible!)
‣ Add half of the seasoning chicken wings, roll the top of the bag closed and shake it up until the chicken is fully cover in a thin layer of flour.
‣ Take the chicken out of the bag and lay down flat on the bag. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.Throw the paper bag away.
‣ Once you have all of the chicken laying flat on the pan, spray olive oil over the top of the chicken. Be sure to cover each piece of chicken. The olive oil is what causes the chicken to fry and become crispy in the oven.
‣ Place your pan in the hot oven for 40 min.
‣ Remove the pan and flip chicken over and return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until it is as crispy as your prefer.
‣ Remove the chicken from the oven and sprinkle with a little sea salt and pepper OR seasoning salt as a finishing touch.
‣ Let chicken sit for 5 minutes, then serve!